It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 am

Merpish - Frost Mage

Interested in joining?
  • Author

Merpish

Visitor

Merpish - Frost Mage

PostSat May 11, 2019 5:44 pm

1. . Post your Age(IRL), Character Name, Primary Spec, Off Spec, Armory Link and BattleTag.

Merpish - Mal’ganis
Primary spec: Frost
Off Specs: Arcane/Fire
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... is/merpish
Merp#1809

2. Link recent WarcraftLogs parses that you have. Do not skip this step; Heroic parses are required, Mythic are preferred.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... 66#zone=21

3. What prior raiding experience do you have? What tiers have you completed start to finish while they were current?

I’ve been raiding since I started playing this game with my father back in 2005, I joined his guild (Epic Chaos) on Dragonmaw and we cleared all content in vanilla aside from Naxx. We went on to clear all content in BC (Sunwell post 3.0) and through WoTLK save for Yogg, and Algalon and 25 LK. During cata I took a break only to come back at the end of Dragon Soul. I joined a friends guild on Arthas (cyanide assassins) and we cleared up to H Spine in 10 man.

I was not present throughout much of Mists, Wod, or Legion. Only returning at the end of Legion to prep for BfA where I intended on pushing into mythic raiding. I achieved 8/8 M Ghuun with Button Mashers on Mal’ganis and went on to get 8/9 M with 35% on Jaina until the guild stopped raiding due to burnout. In all of the cases of me leaving guilds it has never been because I wanted to. First guild largely stopped raiding after WoTLK and RL consumed my life in MoP - Legion. BfA started strong but burnout, and the state of the game made prog at the end of the tier difficult.

4a. What Mythic (or Heroic before WoD) raiding guilds have you been a part of? Why did you leave/want to leave?

Epic Chaos - Vanilla - WoTLK (Guild stopped raiding)
Cyanide Assassins - Cata (Guild stopped raiding before mists launch)
MoP - Legion Absent
Button Mashers - BfA (Guild stopped raiding due to burnout)
I stay in guilds till I’m told we’re done raiding. I look for a home, not a launchpad for my next guild.

4b. Please provide at least two references from your prior guilds (Hint: we will need their BattleTags or an email address where we can contact them). Where possible, at least one of these should be a leader of your most recent guild who still plays the game (even casually).

Vaivara#8025
Rawbur#9467
Both are from my last guild, Rawbur was an officer and Vaiv was our Main Tank

5. Are there any conflicts with our raid schedule?

I will only not be able to make a single Sunday in July due to travel. I will be able to make these times consistently.

6. Post a screenshot of your UI in raid combat and list your essential raid addons. Do not skip this step.

https://imgur.com/a/XfIbwQN

Addons in use

Weak Auras
Big Wigs
Exorsus Raid Tools
ElvUI
Elvui Shadow and Light
Details!
Plater
RCLootCouncil

7. Tell us about your computer. Do you have any lag (visual or connectivity) issues in 20-person raids? Do you have a wired connection or a wireless connection? What is your usual MS to a Chicago Server?

My computer is a solid machine that has been slowly upgraded over time. My oldest part is an i7-4770k and my newest being an RX-480, I have a wired connection. I live in Iowa so I am geographically close to Chicago.

I have not experienced any significant framerate drops during raid.

Speedtest below
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8251286219-

8. How did you find out about us?

Lup contacted me via bnet after seeing a post I made on WoWprogress

You’re guild’s times work nicely for me, as well as the number of days you raid being extremely attractive. I’m a busy person in RL. I’m a law student and have a partner, so I value the time I have at my PC raiding. I want to kill bosses efficiently while playing under a mature atmosphere. I’m also looking for a home where I enjoy the people I play with.

9. What do you think your primary spec brings to raids? What are the strengths of your spec? What are the weaknesses? Name specific abilities that you can use to make specific encounters in the current (or past tier) easier.

Mages aren’t in a great place right now in terms of utility. We bring intellect, but I tend to feel that if any other spec brought it we would be permanently benched.

That said, Mage isn’t useless, we have strong execute damage that has been valued throughout both BfA tiers during end bosses with Fire, and Arcane provides strong, targeted Single target which as been useful on fights such as fetid devourer. Frost is versatile enough to be strong in single target and on multi-target cleave. It also provides the most amount of variance in gameplay when compared to the other two specs. Whether it be running AoE cleave meme builds for fights like Cabal, or the NoIL build for higher single target, frost is the most definitely the more interesting spec to play as of this tier.

Using things like slowfall on High Tinker to save classes that have no consistent way to reach the ground, or decursing during Conclave shows that while the mage is in its sorriest state in a long while, it provides enough utility to not be a burden on the raid.

10. How strong are you on your off-spec? Would you have a problem if we asked you to raid on your off-spec?

I am able to play all 3 mage specs to the same degree, all 3 are geared and ready to go without the need to leave raid to change gear for Azerite or enchants.

11. What specific information resources do you use to keep up with your class mechanics?

I’m extremely involved on the mage discord. I read altered time regularly, not that it’s updated very often, and I’m constantly checking in on the #research tab to make sure I am up to date with all new possible builds for all 3 specs.

13. Do you have a stream? If so, please link it.
I do not stream consistently aside from some goofy streams with some buds when we play overwatch.

twitch.tv/merp___

14. What is your strongest aspect as a raider?
Consistency. Once I’ve done something, and it is effective, I will do it every time. Whether it be rotational or something related to strategy, it becomes ingrained into my being. Additionally, I’m able to learn new strats very quickly, or learn new jobs. During our Ghuun rekill I was asked to carry an orb, which I had not done on mythic. On my first attempt I did it without failing and we killed the boss on that pull. On blockade I was asked to do a different boat after spending the majority of our pulls on the same boat. I asked for a quick breakdown of how it’s done and was successful on our first pull.

15. Tell us more about yourself
I’m a 23 year old college grad about to start law school. Outside of playing WoW I enjoy cooking with my partner, working out, and playing DnD with the buds. I was a top ranked junior tennis player during high school and value my health a great deal. I will be studying constitutional law in law school with the goal of either teaching law myself, or working a civil rights attorney.

16. When are you available for a Mumble interview?

Evenings or nights are better, I’m a bit of a night owl now that it’s summer and my schedule is a bit less hectic.

Arrow

Officer

Re: Merpish - Frost Mage

PostSun May 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Merpish,

Unfortunately we are going to pass on your application at this time. Best of luck in your guild hunt.

Return to Recruitment