It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 am

The Book Thread

Anything
  • Author

Tan

Guild Leader

The Book Thread

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Given that this guild has some voracious readers and fans of authors like Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin and all the rest, I figured we should have a thread to discuss good books you've recently read.

I wanted to note that Anthony Ryan (author of Blood Song, which I really liked) just released a book to kick off a new series called The Waking Fire which I'm planning on checking out next.

Also, the last book in the Red Queen's War series by Mark Lawrence called The Wheel of Osheim just came out which I'm also looking forward to reading.

Currently I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaimon which I'm very much enjoying.

Draakken

Raider

Re: The Book Thread

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 2:26 pm

"Currently reading the second book of the Mistborn series (Well of Ascension). It's going slow for me and I really don't think I'll continue to the next one. I'm not to intriqued by the writing style or the characters, no matter how much I want to be. I'm forcing myself to finish." Draakken said, frowning. I'm curious about how many times Sanderson uses the word frown in his books! lol!

I took a break from Mistborn to read The Butterfly Garden (https://amzn.com/1503934713). Interesting/creepy to read about a serial killer who genuinely believes he is giving his victims a better life than they had...

Currently looking for a new thriller or non-fiction book about finance or something

Xanatu

Raider

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 2:30 pm

"sets his jaw" is Sanderson's facial action of choice.

Tan

Guild Leader

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 2:31 pm

He was too much into "almost contemptuously" blocking sword strikes for a while too.

Ilzan

Casual

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Just finished Startship Troopers this morning after picking it up from the bargain pile at Barnes and Noble over the weekend. Definitely more thought provoking than its big screen adaptation, albeit a little less socially progressive.

Trying to decide between Poseidon's Wake, by Alastair Reynolds, or Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson, to read next. To finish a trilogy, the former, or read a completely different post-Earth story instead...

Titanbear

Casual

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Read a series by Jim Butcher "codex Alera" is the series I believe. The first book is Furies of Calderan https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furies_of_Calderon

Was a while ago but it was a good read.

Same author as the Dresden files, only read two of those.

Tan

Guild Leader

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Titanbear wrote:Read a series by Jim Butcher "codex Alera" is the series I believe. The first book is Furies of Calderan https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furies_of_Calderon

Was a while ago but it was a good read.

Same author as the Dresden files, only read two of those.

The Dresden Books get so much better after the first two. I also really liked Codex Alera. Jim Butcher just kicked off a new series with his book "Aeronaut's Windlass" which both my wife and I really liked.

Houndstooth

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 am

I'm about halfway through the 3 part "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami and it is intensely enjoyable. Very cerebral.
So hip it hurts.

Xanatu

Raider

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Im reading white sands. Kinda meh. 3/5 so far.

Gutsman

Casual

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Started The Stormlight Archive. I'm about 600 pages in and am still undecided.
Next

Return to General Discussion