Soon to be moving out 0.0

Anything
Boltinqt
Casual

Re: Soon to be moving out 0.0

Post by Boltinqt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:32 am

Financial situation is remotely unknown since this is about 10-12 months away.

The *hope* is that I'll be able to finish my base schooling for physical therapy. Then attend graduate school, and intern somewhere since they make *decent* pay. ($26.38/hour average)

Until then it's pretty unknown for me, which is haunting.

Thank you crypt

Thank you hounds

Thank you Xan
Bolt, why did you log so low that fight?

Renray
Casual

Post by Renray » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:00 am

Expect to pay somewhere between $600-700 a month for a "nice" 2 bedroom 1 bath. I assume you don't need something fancy, just a place where cops aren't at 24/7.

Obviously will be less for 1 bedroom.

Titanbear
Casual

Post by Titanbear » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:04 am

Rice is one of the best cost per meal option to be honest, you can also get a sick rice cooker/steamer for ~$15. They're fucking bad ass.

Go with hounds' suggestion on beers except for the fact that you might have to wait a few years for it.

But since money is probably tight if you do drink you'll probably end up with cheap stuff, which is okay (IMO I'd rather drink cheap liquor than cheap beer... Fuck that). Crown royal isn't terrible for cheap rum. To be honest you'll probably have to play around with different things and make sure not too get too wasted.

I actually get handles of everclear because it's pretty damn cost effective for me, and maybe a little reckless (I tend to focus on more juice mixers than soda whenever possible).

Get dat double/triple ply toilet paper on deck.

Be lowkey prepared for almost anything. If you live in a place that snows, have a shovel before it snows. If it's in a place that you're not 100% familiar with look up local things like hardware, car repair/ maintenance etc. also since you're with your gf make sure there's stuff to go out and do.

Also, have you stayed with her before? I don't know your relationship but living together will put you in together for long periods of time, make sure you don't suffocate each other.

Titanbear
Casual

Post by Titanbear » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:06 am

Renray wrote:Expect to pay somewhere between $600-700 a month for a "nice" 2 bedroom 1 bath. I assume you don't need something fancy, just a place where cops aren't at 24/7.

Basically I was supposed to live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath, q huge sick kitchen for like $350 a month.

This largely depends on what you're local housing costs are, I have no idea where you live but for example rural vs city etc the costs will be vastly different.

Xanatu
Casual

Post by Xanatu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:09 am

Titanbear wrote:
Renray wrote:Expect to pay somewhere between $600-700 a month for a "nice" 2 bedroom 1 bath. I assume you don't need something fancy, just a place where cops aren't at 24/7.

Basically I was supposed to live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath, q huge sick kitchen for like $350 a month.

This largely depends on what you're local housing costs are, I have no idea where you live but for example rural vs city etc the costs will be vastly different.
Get you a good deal on a place, 4 blocks from me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3943071 ... 312!8i6656

Boltinqt
Casual

Post by Boltinqt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:13 am

The main issue I'm faced with is that point in time where I want a good job, but can not get a good job because don't have a degree yet.

I like your advice Titan

Basically Ren, you hit the nail on the head.
Bolt, why did you log so low that fight?

Scootie
Casual

Post by Scootie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:24 am

Buy a 24 pack of this and your good on groceries for a month.

Renray
Casual

Post by Renray » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:28 am

Scootie wrote: Trust me I'm a chef

Shimmer
Visitor

Post by Shimmer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:27 pm

I just moved out of my dads house and in with my boyfriend. I found our townhouse on craigslist and we pay $785 for a 2 bedroom and 1 and 1/2 baths.
-I would recommend looking at two bedrooms, someone mentioned earlier about the personal space and that is definitely true. One of us can hide in the gameroom(which is awesome to have) and the other can hide in our room when we're fighting.
-Create a budget when you're ready to move out and know how much money you're going to be leaving with or how much money you will be making. Allow for high expenses for the first few months as you have to buy furniture, kitchen and bathroom stuff. Also for your first and last months rent and security deposit.
-I found literally all of our furniture off of craigslist and at goodwill for ridiculously low prices and actually amazing quality. If you search religiously everyday you can find some really nice stuff (I furnished our living room with a TV stand, barely used Ashley furniture sofa, and a huge reclining chair for $350.) We also got some nice stuff that was secondhand from his family. If you prefer new furniture or need it right away, Walmart has extremely cheap furniture and free shipping or in store pick up. Ikea has some decently priced stuff too but I think Walmarts is still cheaper.
-I also wouldn't recommend getting roommates either if you're going to be living with your girlfriend.
-Stop eating out, spend some money on groceries and make dinner every night, we spend about $200 on groceries every month. It will be really expensive at first but once you get a pantry full of the basics it will get easier. Eat leftovers for lunch or make sandwiches. I don't think you'll be so hurt on money that you'll need to survive off Ramen for dinner and you'll probably be happier with homemade meals anyways.
-Also, remember that your home doesn't need to be fully furnished or decorated right away. It took me a few months to find everything I wanted at the right prices, and it was worth the wait. Just get yourself the basics to start with.

Neurth
Visitor

Post by Neurth » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:33 pm

The main issue I'm faced with is that point in time where I want a good job, but can not get a good job because don't have a degree yet.
You can absolutely get a decent job right now in a similar field to what you want to do. Start personal training. Not only will you get good experience that will help you with PT, you also get to see if that's the type of job you see yourself doing for the foreseeable future.

-Get the materials for the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), study it, and take the test in a few months.

-In the mean time FIND SOME CLIENTS TO TRAIN. It doesn't matter if you do it for free, just train a few people in the mean time. I'm sure you can find some friends that would like free training.

-Find someone to work for who will supply clients for you. Get as much experience as you can in that time.

-Once you've got 6 months to a year (or more if you want) under your belt you can cut out the middle man and get your own clients and take home almost all the money depending on what policies your local gyms have on personal training. There are gyms around here that will only charge 5 bucks to 10% of what you charge the clients. That's taking home 90%+ of the money. 35-50 an hour take home once you're somewhat established isn't too bad.

I wouldn't expect to be training a ton of hours every week, especially with school, but you can get a decent income for that, have flexible hours, and get invaluable experience that will make you a better Physical Therapist. 99% of people you will train will have injuries that you will have to work around and/or rehab.

This is something you can do while you're in school and you will get so much hands on experience in the mean time. It will make you much more employable as well. A degree by itself won't get you anything but a possible interview, you had better be able to bring something of value.

Do not move out if you don't have you financial situation sorted out. Stay with your parents or wherever you're living until you're actually ready. Don't become a working slave like 90% of people out there because they can't manage their money. The extra "freedom" you might gain you are going to pay for.

Prioritize your school too. If your backup plan is to drop out to make ends meet, you're fucking yourself in the long term.