Soon to be moving out 0.0

Anything
Renray
Casual

Re: Soon to be moving out 0.0

Post by Renray » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Arrow wrote: 18. Drink a lot of pineapple juice. You'll thank me later.
No girl wants this stahp

Espresso
Casual

Post by Espresso » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Arrow wrote:6. Don't put up posters in your room, you're not 12 (sorrynotsorry espresso)
bruh

Cryptrot
Casual

Post by Cryptrot » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Arrow went full fucking yoda.

Sep
O M G it's the S E P

Post by Sep » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

If you drink, build a kegerator. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

If you don't drink, start. It will save you a lot of good decisions in the long run.

Boltinqt
Casual

Post by Boltinqt » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Sep wrote:If you drink, build a kegerator. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

If you don't drink, start. It will save you a lot of good decisions in the long run.
I'm dead.

Arrow "So you can carry her like you get carried in 3s"

+1 good sir.
Bolt, why did you log so low that fight?

Houndstooth
Site Admin

Post by Houndstooth » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 pm

• Buy the good toilet paper. There's plenty to cut corners on, that's not one of them
• Don't buy black towels. Those little strings get everywhere. Also, always have extra towels stashed in your room.
• If you're living with a few people in a house buy a mini fridge and put the expensive things you buy for yourself in there. Trust me.
• Lay down a few rules (No shoes past the entryway, any glass you're going to use again in short time goes in a special place etc...) Having little rules makes it easier to keep a place organized and they become second nature after a little while.
• If you're using Comcast (or your cable provider will let you use your own) just buy your own modem. It'll pay for itself in 6-8 months.
• +1 Sep's first and second points.
• Keep breath mints/a mint gum around in your bathroom, and some mouthwash (and don't let the bottle get all crusty, clean that shit up)
• Welcome to more monthly bills ^-^
So hip it hurts.

Boltinqt
Casual

Post by Boltinqt » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Just so everyone knows, I'll be living with the girlfriend. It'll be happening after this next track season ends in KS.

We're thinking about apartments.

What's a good price range? I really don't want something garbage.

What do you guys recommend for ISP?

I'll be using Newegg to make a PC (Crypt, you'll need to help)

What unexpected expenses should I know about?

What is good to drink? Haven't done much of it to be honest.

I'm taking these recommendations to heart (some)

Thanks guys!
Bolt, why did you log so low that fight?

Xanatu
Casual

Post by Xanatu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:53 pm

[quote="Boltinqt"]Just so everyone knows, I'll be living with the girlfriend. It'll be happening after this next track season ends in KS.

We're thinking about apartments.

What's a good price range? I really don't want something garbage.
/quote]

What's your financial situation going to be like? Ideally you don't spend more than 1/3 of your monthly income on rent; may not be realistic depending on where you're moving but that's a comfortable range. Just let me know when you're ready to buy a house.

Houndstooth
Site Admin

Post by Houndstooth » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:59 pm

For what's good to drink, you should find a brewery that has variety and go do flights of beer to track down the style you like the best.

Price range varies by location. You should be looking at a 2 bedroom so you can have a game room or something. Personal space is super important when you're living with an SO.

As far as ISP goes just make sure you can get a reasonable amount of down/up. Get yourself a good router. Make use of both bands on it (2.4ghz and 5ghz).
So hip it hurts.

Cryptrot
Casual

Post by Cryptrot » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Alright so a few things for ya:

1 -- Yes I will help you build a computer at a decent price.

2 -- For ISPs just give me the address I have most of my research tools up and running from the last time I renegotiated my ISP costs here.

3 -- Unexpected cost info: Lots of things can be surprises or gotchas. First and foremost be prepared to have on hand 1.5 to 2 months security deposit on top of your first month's rent. This is fairly standard and as long as you don't fuck the apartment up you will get it back. The same for utilities (in NJ I had a $250 deposit with PSE&G when I first moved out on my own, got it back 3 months later), and possibly for cable and internet. Cable TV is a fucking waste, I can show you the ways of the streaming, especially while you are still in school and can get Amazon Prime for like $49 a year instead of $99 a year. Food is a big one, don't eat out! Learn to cook and learn to love cooking, pasta is cheap and so are non flagship cuts of meat. Get to be one with the pot roast (chuck roast), learn to love taking the bones and skin off your chicken breast, make your mashed potatoes from scratch, etc. My single biggest mistake and expense was eating out all the time, not only did I put on a metric fuckton of weight but I spent a lot more money than I would have just cooking for myself.

Save up as much money as you can, get your apartment furnished or go to a second-hand places for your furniture as well, with the only exception being your bed. Still go to a bobs discount furniture for it, but second hand beds are fucking nasty 100% of the time.

My rule of thumb is 3 months savings for normal expenses before I can start to splurge.