Gaming Rut

Anything
Renray
Casual

Gaming Rut

Post by Renray » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:15 pm

****Calm down I'm not quitting, this isn't what this is about.****

For the past few weeks I've been sort of stuck in this gaming rut. I haven't been able to find the satisfaction I typically look for when playing video games, and I just seem to keep getting let down whenever I go to try something new.

When you get to the point where most of us have in WoW where you constantly seek to be the best at something, you always try to min/max or be better than the average player, it's very hard to get the enjoyment that the developers of a game have put in place for their players.

But something weird happened today. I logged onto wildstar, started leveling a character, and actually had a really good time. I was listening to the story, reading the quests, watching the cinematics, and just overall really appreciating all the little things. The reason I'm posting this is because I know a lot of you are playing some games on the side and might be going through the same thing. Here's some things I've learned that have really helped me get the most out of my gaming experience.

-Listen to the music
-Read the quests
-Climb that tree over there
-Look at that waterfall
-Talk to people, make a friend

Not everything is about doing the most dps or being the top of healing charts, take your time and don't worry about having the best gear or correct stats. Just go out and really enjoy every aspect of the game that these developers have spent so much time creating for you. Hell, some of my best WoW memories include just sitting in grizzly hills and listening to the score.

Cutts
Casual

Re: Gaming Rut

Post by Cutts » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:43 pm

OH SHIT GUYS RENRAY'S QUITTING!

-Fatbird.exe, the Blue Fatbird of Happiness.

"We depth investigation abnormal account." - 100% legit "Blizzard GM"...scammers aren't even trying anymore.

Cryptrot
Casual

Post by Cryptrot » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:52 pm

I may pop onto wildstar too at some point, I quit because everyone I played with quit and the actual spellslinger mechanics were fun. *shrug* I'd have to do a new acct probably my old acct is on my old email which is gone forever (backup your google authenticator folks)

*EDIT -- I forgot a pargaraph: But yeah essentially it's very VERY easy to fall into a rut just playing wow live, just raiding, just pushing buttons as hard as you can and it can very easily start to suck the joy out of the entire experience. Finding another place to relax and just play helps keep the "gaming spirit" as I like to call it alive. It's a lesson I've learned the harsh way a few times, and I try hard outside of real pushes (start of expac, need to gear, main swap for comp, etc) to really seperate the wow from the rest of my gaming so that I can continue to have a fun time.

Gutsman
Trial

Post by Gutsman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Last time I had "fun" with a game... 2008 maybe? Started downloading wildstar.

Xanatu
Casual

Post by Xanatu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Gutsman wrote:Last time I had "fun" with a game... 2008 maybe? Started downloading wildstar.
..I just got metal gear. I was having fun like an hour ago. And 5 minutes ago when we got into P3 before Waddle murdered us.

paleaura
Casual

Post by paleaura » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 am

@Crypt I've been enjoying my SS since I started leveling it a couple days ago, it gets much better around ~25-30 when you get the reduced CD AMP and the Spell Power regeneration outside of Spell Surge. Mechanically it's more fun than warrior, bUT warriors damage/utility is too good to pass up on playing as, + spin to win. I posted my email if you all wanna add me, not sure if you can play cross server, but I can mentor with someone if we can, and play with you all that way.
"dragons are cooler than vaginas" - Kyojin