Windows

Anything
Blimm
Visitor

Windows

Post by Blimm » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:39 am

I tried to update to Windows 10 yesterday morning and when I got back home last night the install was stuck at 17%. I let it sit there a few hours and had no movement.

I was reading that if you do a hard reboot then windows will restore to the previous version. Tried it, now I'm stuck on a "restoring your previous version of windows" screen. I let it sit overnight for about 6 hours and nothing so far.

Oh and I can't seem to find my windows discs.

Any ideas?
Twobeers, Monk
Oldbeers, Paladin

Cryptrot
Casual

Re: Windows

Post by Cryptrot » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:59 am

Was the old version of windows you had preinstalled and if so which manufacturer/oem built your computer? There may be a built-in recovery solution that will allow you to reinstall your previous version of windows. That failing I had an issue like this with a windows 10 insider preview build and i did a hard reboot while disconnecting any unnecessary for installation peripherals, there was an issue installing a driver that caused the hang.

Let me know the answer to the first question and I will see what I can figure out from there, you should 100% go back to your stable windows version if at all possible, a clean install of win10 before you upgrade through their tool will ask for product keys that you won't have and otherwise be a giant pain in the ass to get activated.

energydrinks
Casual

Post by energydrinks » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I could probably hook it up with a Download Key for Win 10 (or any version of windows for that matter) if you need it. Let me know, if worst comes to worst.

Ippon
Casual

Post by Ippon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Cryptrot wrote:hard reboot while disconnecting any unnecessary for installation peripherals, there was an issue installing a driver that caused the hang.
That's a good suggestion. I've had windows installs blow up because I had USB devices hooked up. (And once because of an optical drive)

Blimm
Visitor

Post by Blimm » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:20 am

No I built my computer and installed windows. I've tried unplugging everything but power and monitor and still same issue. I believe we have recovery disc at work so I'm going to just drop it off with my IT guy in the morning
Twobeers, Monk
Oldbeers, Paladin

Blimm
Visitor

Post by Blimm » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 am

So I went to unplug my computer and take it to work and noticed the damn speakers were still plugged in. Unplugged them and windows restored perfectly.

/facepalm
Twobeers, Monk
Oldbeers, Paladin

energydrinks
Casual

Post by energydrinks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 pm

rip