Need Life Advice

Anything
Renray
Casual

Need Life Advice

Post by Renray » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Doctors appointment didn't go well today, one of those moments where you're told no matter how much you want something or how hard you work you'll never be physically able to do the occupation you have been planning to do since you were 10 years old.

So instead of being a responsible adult and seeking advice from the role models and close friends in my life I'm gonna ask some random people on the Internet for life advice.

I absolutely must have a sit down job. Period. Much unlike the physical therapist I have been going to school for. I need ideas of things I can do with my life. I'd rather not waste my pre-med credits but at this point I'm open to anything. You guys know me as well as some of my best friends, what do you think I could be good at?

Pancakes
Casual

Re: Need Life Advice

Post by Pancakes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Finish what you're doing, and just do it while sitting down.

Ippon
Casual

Post by Ippon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 pm

Well shit, that sucks. I don't have any particularly pertinent advice. Maybe go all the way through as an Orthopedist?

Cryptrot
Casual

Post by Cryptrot » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:12 pm

I mean you have the intelligence to do great work in basically any of the scientific and medical research fields, instead of a practicing Physical Therapist why not leverage the knowledge and add on a theoretical/research kind of role? Premed has a lot of things like microbiology and such and having an aptitude for that can lead to a major impact in medical or scientific research.

I'm really sorry to hear that you can't do what you set out to do, I don't know your skill set enough to be more precise, but a switch from practical to theoretical still allows contributions to the field and the ability to remain connected to the things you are interested in.

Xanatu
Casual

Post by Xanatu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Cryptrot wrote:I mean you have the intelligence to do great work in basically any of the scientific and medical research fields, instead of a practicing Physical Therapist why not leverage the knowledge and add on a theoretical/research kind of role? Premed has a lot of things like microbiology and such and having an aptitude for that can lead to a major impact in medical or scientific research.

I'm really sorry to hear that you can't do what you set out to do, I don't know your skill set enough to be more precise, but a switch from practical to theoretical still allows contributions to the field and the ability to remain connected to the things you are interested in.
This is good advice. I ended up not being able to do what I went to school for but found a job I'm good at that I'd never really considered. For me, finding something that you can do well at is what makes a job satisfying. I'd look for something a little less mobile in the same field that you think you'll do well in.

Draakken
Casual

Post by Draakken » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:46 pm

We don't know explicit details on the situation or the extent of your capabilities, which makes it a bit harder for us to discuss. I would always like to heir on the side of optimism when discussing people's futures. So I have a few things for you to consider:

1) If its an issue with your legs and not being able to stand for an extended period of time, there is certainly something you can contribute to the PT field, the above suggestions are great.
2) What did the Doctors say in the form of rehabilitation? Is there an opportunity for your own physical therapy? Does sitting for an extended period of time (playing wow) hinder the rehabilitation?
3) People run marathons without any legs… Has any Doctor considered removing the issue and then prosthetic's? This scary to even suggest but you could definitely pursue a PT career with this.
*You don't have to answer any questions here, just food for thought.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and it's super rough because of how new the news is, but keep your head up. Keep your attitude as "How can I continue to pursue my dream while overcoming this obstacle" rather than "This screwed up everything, lets find something new". Also don't forget your favorite hobby requires sitting. You'll be fine man <3

Pancakes
Casual

Post by Pancakes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Become the best PT while keeping your seating uptime above the 90%

Renray
Casual

Post by Renray » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:38 am

Draakken wrote: 2) What did the Doctors say in the form of rehabilitation? Is there an opportunity for your own physical therapy? Does sitting for an extended period of time (playing wow) hinder the rehabilitation?
I don't really want to get very in-depth into my situation just based on I'm too lazy to sort through all the medical jargon but if you're curious on the the current situation, my mother did a Facebook update explaining it relatively well.

http://i.imgur.com/nWgAs4y.png

Sitting isn't hindering. In fact, it's 100% recommended. The issue lies in the fact that the physical therapy I've been doing since March is not providing any benefit to the pain in my knee. The more I sit and let the bone heal, the better. The physical therapy was to strengthen the muscles to provide some relief to the patella grinding on the active site.
Draakken wrote: 3) People run marathons without any legs… Has any Doctor considered removing the issue and then prosthetic's? This scary to even suggest but you could definitely pursue a PT career with this.
*You don't have to answer any questions here, just food for thought.
Robot-legs 4 pres

Pancakes
Casual

Post by Pancakes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:44 am

Ray have ever told you about my dad?

Aside from being a total asshole, he became a professional photographer when he was 17. Was world renowned, and soon bob hopes personal photographer by the age of 19. He did this for many years until about 16 years ago he a series of medical events which he's battled for the past 16 years which resulted in him being paralyzed from the waist down. He also has kidney failure, and still battles diabetes since he was a kid. He can't walk, he has tremendous nerve damage; can't talk without stuttering, rolls around in an electric chair. Doctors told him he is practically incapable of anything, and they've been giving him "short periods of time to live." He gets up every morning, hurls himself into his chair, catheterise himself just to piss, consume about 50 pills a day, and the list goes on.

He just opened a brand new studio, manages portions of the most elite camera company in the world, manages a million + recipitant newsfeed about camera shenanigans, and once again the list goes on and on.

What I'm trying to say is that, in all seriousness; you're being fed bullshit. The only thing stopping you from doing what you want to do is yourself. My dad is a living example of this; I'm serious if you witness what he does daily you'd shit yourself, and you'd be able to accomplish anything. It's fucking insane. Honestly you should just keep pushing, and do what you want to do, and not change your life because of the cards dealt. You can do it, and you've out to much work in to back out now. Just keep your head up, and do it.

Orionspaw
Casual

Post by Orionspaw » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 am

Pancakes wrote:You can do it, and you've out to much work in to back out now. Just keep your head up, and do it.
<insert Shia Labeouf video here>
Last edited by Orionspaw on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.