rental house contract

Anything
Navcite
Visitor

rental house contract

Post by Navcite » Sun May 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Cant get the picture to upload

Could not upload attachment to ./files/410_b119e2b609798ca86a9a1b6ccd289490.

"If any repairs are needed, do not try to repair them yourself. Call the number below and I will have the proper person fix anything necessary."

The thing that really got under my skin was the way she was talking to me and plus i had to pay someone to bring a pump over that worked and help me set it up. What i'm wondering is if, I am legally able to send her a bill for the money i paid out of my pocket.

Now they did bring a pump over but it quit working after 10 minutes. The guy who brought it over only stayed long enough to hook it up, turn it on, and then left. When i sent her another message saying the pump quit working i received no reply.

The contract is kinda vague considering i live in a town of only 8k people pop. Wouldn't it fall under (repair) if something like that happened.

Navcite
Visitor

Re: rental house contract

Post by Navcite » Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Also note that part of the Ac/heating unit is in the basement along with the water tank, so I guess i could have been a dick and let the water ruin the AC/heating unit

Pancakes
Casual

Post by Pancakes » Sun May 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Usually in any rental they are liable for repairs - not you. Just rip into her and have her ass fix it.

jurik
Casual

Post by jurik » Sun May 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Tenant rights are highly dependent on where you live. Generally the landlord is responsible for maintenance including repairs necessitated by regular, non-negligent use.

If the landlord refuses to repair a major issue in a timely manner, in most places you can deduct the amount you spend to repair it from your rent. The landlord may NOT confiscate damage deductible money for it, but landlords stealing damage deposits is depressingly common, so I always treated any rental deposit as money that was going to be stolen from me anyway.

Evicting tenants is extremely difficult, time consuming, and unrewarding, so you've always got that leverage if the landlord decides to be a dick about the repairs--just underpay them for the month (WITH DOCUMENTATION WHY) and then tell them if they don't like it to try to evict. They will lose if they decide to play hardball.

YMMV depending on your locale because as I said earlier, tenants rights vary greatly depending on jurisdiction.

Navcite
Visitor

Post by Navcite » Sun May 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks, yeah im pretty sure she'll keep my deposit( thats what i've heard from friends and such), the money really isnt that big of deal, its the fit that she threw saying she wasnt going to send anybody else, it was my fault, and i needed to figure it out. If she would have just been like, hey i cant get anyone can you see what you can do, I would have been fine with it