Web Components re: Neurth @bootstrap

Anything
Houndstooth
Site Admin

Web Components re: Neurth @bootstrap

Post by Houndstooth » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:12 pm

https://medium.com/gschool-chronicles/m ... b510bf4d41

Above is the article I wrote comparing two Google Material Design component sets. Basically Bootstrap is just a really heavy/inclusive and comprehensive web component package that gives your apps a unified design and standardizes certain HTML elements. It's great if you're just building apps for learning because it removes a TON of concerns from your plate (a responsive grid, styling, interaction that might require JS, ect...)

Bootstrap is awesome, don't get me wrong. As I'm learning and evolving I'm starting to see its seams and the benefit of compiling other components (Extra Strength Grid is fucking awesome and I like its syntax more than the grid system of Bootstrap). That said, I spent 3 months working in a pure bootstrap application environment and I learned a fuckload and my app doesn't look half bad.
So hip it hurts.

Neurth_Old
Casual

Re: Web Components re: Neurth @bootstrap

Post by Neurth_Old » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Good stuff.

Neurth_Old
Casual

Post by Neurth_Old » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:12 pm

So I assume you're done with your code camp now? What do you think of the overall experience? Do you already have a job/work?

Houndstooth
Site Admin

Post by Houndstooth » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:49 pm

yeah I finished in April. Had a job locked in 2 days before graduation. The experience was fantastic, looking back now while it's still relatively fresh I wish they had focused more on javascript since it's fucking everywhere and minimized/removed the ruby experience. That's a tough call though since going through ruby gave me a good idea of how client/server interactions work.

We just hired a junior right out of college and I would say that there are areas where I excel and he struggles and visa versa. His technical foundation is more fleshed out (to be expected) but I'm a lot faster to get working code committed and then go through a code review and refactor (which we do anyway) to a cleaner more functional state.

Also, there's this great book I've been going through called "The mostly adequate guide to functional programming" online. Highly recommended.
So hip it hurts.

Neurth_Old
Casual

Post by Neurth_Old » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Good stuff, glad it was worth it for you.

I'll definitely check out that book when I'm done with my current one. I'm also focusing on Javascript right now outside of school work, which right now is mainly just computer science theory, no programming this semester (which I actually like so I can learn what I want to).

Houndstooth
Site Admin

Post by Houndstooth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:54 am

Javascript is soooooo much of the job market right now. A lot of start ups are using MEAN stack. It's a really good thing to focus on.

That book will help you write javascript that's far more encapsulated so it's easier to create modular portions of code that you can reuse everywhere and unit test once.

Also, check out Ramda when you start messing with a JS framework. Currying functions is teh hawt secks.
So hip it hurts.

IcRocklee
Casual

Post by IcRocklee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:59 pm

A NY Times article about the camp Bryan and myself have been through / are attending.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/techn ... ticle&_r=0
"I wake/I see all/And find it lacking"

Sep
O M G it's the S E P

Post by Sep » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:41 am

Pretty sure this whole web thing is a fad.

IcRocklee
Casual

Post by IcRocklee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 am

Sep wrote:Pretty sure this whole web thing is a fad.
Okay, Futhead Dan.
"I wake/I see all/And find it lacking"

Houndstooth
Site Admin

Post by Houndstooth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am

yeah, I write all my code by hand, just to be ready for the apocalypse. Still looking for a way to compile these notebooks...
So hip it hurts.